To determine fatherhood either during pregnancy or later on, a paternity test is conducted, also known as the DNA paternity test. This test is considered to be 100% accurate for determining a person’s biological father.
In DNA paternity testing, the similarities between the DNAs or the Deoxyribonucleic acid of the father and offspring are checked. DNA is the genetic material that is present in every cell of our body which helps to know the genetic similarity between two individuals.
In this way, one can know the genetic relationship between two individuals and the way they are related. However, many are unaware of how to get a court ordered for paternity test without a lawyer? To know about the process and the facts related, read this article till the end.
How does a paternity test work?
The test includes two or more DNA samples. In the testing, the more similar the two separate DNA samples are, the more closely related the individuals will be. In this way, the interpretation can be made from DNA testing.
It includes two separate processes
- Getting consent from the court in case of a legal process
- Taking the samples and sending them to the lab for getting the test done
Both the processes are equally important for conducting proper legal DNA testing for paternity testing.
Who can apply for a paternity test?
To conduct a paternity test the individuals can get consent from the court with the help of a lawyer through drafting and submitting a petition to the court. Any one of the two parents or guardians can begin the process. It can be conducted by the following people:
- A Father with a child whose mother is married to another man
- Women during pregnancy or after pregnancy for child custody or claiming child support from the father
- A Father who wants to know about the biological father of his kid, in case if he is unsure of it
- Any one of them who want to know about any genetically related issue regarding a health condition
There are many conditions like this in which a person can ask for or request for conducting a paternity test. A paternity test can help people in many different ways from claiming child custody and right to identifying genetic conditions to become aware of any long-term health conditions.
How to get court orders for the paternity test?
To conduct a paternity test one can go in either way. Request it privately or go through a legal procedure by filing a petition to the court. If people want to go through a legal procedure, which is recommended, then they can follow the process in the given sequential manner:
- Contacting a lawyer
- Drafting and submitting proper petitions to the court
- Getting consent from both the parents, do any one of the parents can begin with the process
- The next step is the petition to be served on the participants
- Taking the samples with proper legal procedure under the guidance of a supervisor
- Sending the samples to the love in the guidance and supervision of the supervisor
- Receiving the result
Once the condition is accepted by the courts and order is given then no one has the authority to refuse the testing.
➡LEARN MORE: How to get a Paternity Test when the Mother Refuses?
What is the process for getting a paternity test?
A DNA paternity test is performed in several steps. There are different types of paternity test such as:
In the case of the former, the blood sample from the father and the child is tested to know the father and relation between them. While in the case of the latter, both the father and the child swab their cheeks to get the cheek cell or buccal cells for testing.
These samples of blood or cheek swabs from both the father and the child are taken and sent to the laboratory for testing.
After the testing, it is concluded as the more similar the genetic samples will be the more closely related the two individuals are. Thus, it signifies that in the case of father and child the two separate genetic samples will be more similar.
There is a legal procedure for carrying out a paternity test. It includes the following steps:
- Requesting the lab for a legal paternity test
- Getting an appointment from the lab nearest to your residence
- For taking the DNA samples a DNA test kit is sent to the facility
- The participants arrive at the appointed time for collecting samples
- The DNA collector checks the identity proof of the participants followed by taking photos and supervisors the whole process
- The paperwork by the DNA collector and made to the lab along with the samples
- After the reports are ready it is either posted to the participants account or delivered to the participant by mail service
The whole DNA collection and submission process is guided and supervised by the supervisor. To maintain security the results are never mailed to the participant.
Can I ask for a paternity test without a lawyer?
Conducting a proper paternity test may be a little costly as well as complicated. It gets easier if a person gets help from lawyers. But in case a person cannot afford or unable to contact a lawyer then they can conduct the paternity test through a proper legal procedure in the following ways:
- By contacting the nearest local child support office
- Asking for help from the clerk of the court to fill the form and other legal procedures